I usually watch the show for style tips, not for decor tips. I know that the decor is probably just as accurate as or more so than the wardrobes. I’m just not a big mid-century mod person though. To me, it reminds me of a doctor’s office. However, there are a few pieces of Mad Men decor that even I have to have and I’ve been lucky enough to find some cheap reproductions at Amazon.com to ogle.
These Aren’t The Exact Pieces but It’s Style Inspiration
How to Decorate Your Home Like Mad Men
1. I would love the grasscloth (or at least grasscloth style) wallpaper in Megan and Don’s apartment. I would skip the wood paneling and the lighter carpet which was even a key player in one episode. However, I’ve wanted this style of wallpaper for awhile. I would most likely stick with a lighter color or even a blue version. I think Bertram Cooper also has this style in his office too at Sterling Cooper Draper Price.
2. I knew that the velvet tufted headboard I had been longing over was really familiar until I watched the show again. There it was in Betty’s room. No wonder it became popular. I would go for a smaller and more simplistic version to save some money but would like to stick with a similar blue or velvet shade.
3. Get yourself a Rothko. If you don’t have several million dollars find a print or a poster. This is my favorite artwork on the show although I chose a different color palette than the one in Bert’s office.
4. White tulip tables. Roger Sterling’s office is by far my favorite. It really contrasts against his personality. He has a white tulip table in it. Plus, the all white, gray, and black design really contrasts against the rest of the office thus making it my favorite set in the whole show. The Ero Saairen style is much easier to find in side or dining table styles. There are white marble versions or just go for a plain fiberglass look.
5. The le corbusier style chaise in Roger’s office looks so comfortable. Instead of a white version though I opted for a brown and white pony that would suit my living room.
6. I’d also want an arc lamp which again is in Roger’s office. These are popular in more contemporary decor so I’d personally choose one with a marble base
I didn’t even get to Roger’s office chair. I guess I know which space I love the most. If you had to pick your favorite set from Mad Men what would it be? For me using this kind of decor in your home is about restraint. Use bright wall colors, fewer accessories, and skip all of the faux wood grains so it doesn’t look like a thrift store.